Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EMStudio documentation?
Is there any documentation on EMStudio at this time? Like a "Dummies guide to configuring EMStudio for your engine"?

I've prowled through the windows but didn't see anything that might be similar to any of the MS tuning software I am familiar with.
Robert
1995 Ford E-150, 300 CID I6, E4OD, custom MS1-Extra
1992 Winnebago Elante 33 RQ, Ford 460 CID V8, E4OD, custom MS1-Extra
1993 Bayliner 3288, twin Ford 351 CID Windsor V8s, converted to programmable EFI, custom MS1-extra
Negative, I've not really worked on how-to docs yet since there hasn't been much demand for it. It certainly needs to be done though.
Mike,
This is kind of interesting because there is an on going thread about “Why tuners hate MS” on the MS Extra forum, and one of the complaints is lack of documentation. The point was raised that in the case of MS, it’s not so much as a “lack of” but more so a “lack of current”. Another point was raised that from the developer’s stand point (reading between the lines) the developer knows what is going on, and it is always changing. Documentation takes a back seat to on going development. It’s unfortunate, but it’s also understandable and that’s just the way it is.

So, at this point I don’t want to pressure you in to documentation that would take you away from your development time, which is obviously a priority, but perhaps you might be able to answer a few questions to help new comers like myself.

Because I can’t find any kind of windows (pages, forms, whatever?) that a user can input particular data about his engine and how it could be configured, I am assuming that at this point at least, it all comes from application specific firmware. I could be very wrong about this.

Anyway, as a new comer to EMStudio When I open it, not connected to a controller, I am presented with a screen that offers me some selections on the top of the page. They are File, Edit, Windows, Open Windows, Wizards and Help. I also am presented with a “Dock Widget” on the right side of the screen with buttons, and/or alarms that state: Soft Reset, Hard Reset, Combustion Sync, Crank Sync, Cam Sync, Last Timestamp Valid and Last Period Valid.

What is the purpose of the Dock Widget and what do the buttons or alarms indicate?

Getting back to the top menu bar, under “File” I see Connect, Disconnect, Save Tune, Load Tune and Exit. I think these are self-explanatory.

Under “Edit” I see Settings, Enable Data Log Stream, and Disable Data log Stream.
“Settings” offers me the communications settings. Good. The Data Log Stream options are self-explanatory.

Under “Windows” I am offered Guages, Numeric Data, Tuneable Memory, Flags, Packet Satus, EMS Status, Interrogation progress (greyed out), Parameter View and Firmware Metadata.

“Gauges shows 6 gauges, RPM, Ign Timing, O2, Pulse Width, Coolant and MAP. Also what looks like a digital box for Intake Air Temp C and another for what looks like a digital box plus a bar graph, also for IAT.

Can this page be modified and if so how?

Under “Numeric Data” I see a list of what looks like real time variables. Can this page be modified?

Under “Tuneable Memory” I see what looks like a blank page.

Same thing for “Flags”.

Under “Packet Status” things get more interesting but in off line mode the fields are blank. What is the purpose of this option?

“EMS Status” is just blank off line. What is its purpose?

“Interrogation Process” is just blank, but I’m assuming that it is just active under active interrogation

“Parameter View” What’s that?

“Firmware Metadata” I’m assuming that this needs a connection to a controller

“Open Windows” shows nothing, as does “Wizards”.

When I open EMStudio with the board running I am shown table information on the Tuneable Memory screen.
“Flags” shows information.
Same with “Packet Status”.
Nothing on “EMS Status”.
“Interrogation Progress” is interesting because it seems to indicate that interrogation was successful but still on going?
“Parameter View has a box with “1” in it, nothing else.
Firmware Metadata gives information that is self-explanatory.
“Open Windows” still shows nothing.
“Wizards offers me “Bench Test”, “Decoder Offset” and what looks to be a TPS calibrator, but I don’t know if they are active or not.

I expect that some of this stuff is still under development but if you can find the time, it would be valuable to know what the non obvious things on the screen mean and what their purpose is.
Robert
1995 Ford E-150, 300 CID I6, E4OD, custom MS1-Extra
1992 Winnebago Elante 33 RQ, Ford 460 CID V8, E4OD, custom MS1-Extra
1993 Bayliner 3288, twin Ford 351 CID Windsor V8s, converted to programmable EFI, custom MS1-extra