Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinkering with a new platform...
Welcome to LibreEMS II, from the SmartFusion2!

CPU  : SmartFusion2 SoC (Cortex-M3 Hard IP)                                  
Freqs: CORTEX-M3=142MHz,PCLK0=71MHz,PCLK1=71MHz
Board: M2S-FG484-SOM Rev 1A, www.emcraft.com
DRAM:  64 MB
(08-01-2016, 05:48 PM)seank Wrote: Welcome to LibreEMS II, from the SmartFusion2!

CPU  : SmartFusion2 SoC (Cortex-M3 Hard IP)                                  
Freqs: CORTEX-M3=142MHz,PCLK0=71MHz,PCLK1=71MHz
Board: M2S-FG484-SOM Rev 1A, www.emcraft.com
DRAM:  64 MB

Looks sweet!,  but does it have a modern GNU toolchain that covers support for all the modules including the FPGA?  What does the connector cost to dock it to a mainboard?
-- David
Oh yeah, standard GNU ARM toolchain, as good as it gets, very actively maintained.

On the FPGA side, tooling is free for this part number. The IC is only $3 more than the S12X, they really do charge too much for that older 16-bit stuff IMO. Good question about the connector, I'm not sure.
(08-02-2016, 07:45 AM)seank Wrote: Oh yeah, standard GNU ARM toolchain, as good as it gets, very actively maintained.

On the FPGA side, tooling is free for this part number. The IC is only $3 more than the S12X, they really do charge too much for that older 16-bit stuff IMO. Good question about the connector, I'm not sure.

Yeah but a BGA part is not reliably end-user solderable.  The connector will be a challenge, but the capabilities of it seem pretty good at first glance...
-- David
(08-02-2016, 10:48 AM)dandruczyk Wrote:
(08-02-2016, 07:45 AM)seank Wrote: Oh yeah, standard GNU ARM toolchain, as good as it gets, very actively maintained.

Yeah but a BGA part is not reliably end-user solderable.  The connector will be a challenge, but the capabilities of it seem pretty good at first glance...

There's a 144 pin TQFP part too.